Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The New Baling Wire

Before I got home from work last night, Jenn called and said she was taking off to the big city of Springfield to go shopping. My reply to her was if she'd wake me up early enough I'd duct tape the van window back up. You see, the stuff inside the door that makes the window go up and down is broken. I just havent gotten around to getting the parts for it yet. So it's being held up (temporarily) with duct tape. Which got me to thinking about the origins of duct tape.

When I was a kid, baling wire was the fix-all on the farm. There was always some hanging on the fence, or laying in the back of the pickup, or in the shed. It's very handy stuff! You could replace gate hinges with it. You could replace the exhaust hangers on the truck with it. You could wire your little sister to a wagon and send her down a hill to see if the wagon's up for the task of making it down the hill. You could patch said wagon back together.

Baling wire, however, has its limitations. Which is why duct tape was invented. Duct tape (AKA Baling Wire v2.0) has a stickiness that just won't quit. There are limitless applications. I didn't realize just quite how limitless until I did a Google image search this morning. Wow!! I knew duct tape was handy for patching stuff up. I just never realized there were so many uses for it. People make wallets outta this stuff! Purses too! Comitted to diving a little deeper, I found duct tape prom attire! Duct tape can also be used to add to the passenger capacity of your vehicle! Wonderful stuff. It just makes me wonder what we'll use in the next generation of holding stuff to other stuff. What's gonna be Baling Wire v3.0??











1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear insightful son- Have you never been intorduced to GORILLA GLUE????

 

designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com